Curried Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite-sized cubes
- A few sprigs of fresh herbs like parsley or scallions, optional
- 6 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Savory Tikka Spice Blend or your favorite curry powder
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 10 ounces frozen peas, steamed according to package instructions
- Salt and pepper to taste
Boil the potatoes: Cover the potatoes with water in a large pot. Add the herbs (if using) and bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and cook for 18-20 minutes until fork-tender. Don’t overcook them!
Using tongs, remove the herbs from the pot and discard. Turn off the heat on the burner. Drain the potatoes into a colander and return the pot to the same burner.
Pour the drained potatoes back into the hot pot and allow the residual heat to cook off excess water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to dry completely.
Heat extra virgin olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the black mustard seeds and cook for 45 seconds or until they begin to pop. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring often, for 30-40 seconds until fragrant. Turn off the heat and set the skillet aside to cool for 5 minutes.
Prepare the dressing: In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise and the warm curry mixture. Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper. Add the steamed peas and stir to combine.
Finish the potato salad: Add the warm potatoes to the bowl of mayonnaise and mix gently to combine. Don’t break up the potatoes too much! Taste and season with salt to your preferences. Serve with fresh cilantro on top, if you like. Enjoy!