A glossy red, or occasionally yellow, pulpy edible fruit that is typically eaten as a vegetable or in salad.
Just kidding! We all know this.
The Many Faces of The Packaged Tomato
- Whole tomatoes are generally sold peeled, in either juice or puree. This is usually the highest quality tomato product.
- Diced tomatoes are tomato chunks packed in tomato juice.
- Stewed tomatoes are cooked and then canned - typically with other seasonings and sugar added.
- Fire-roasted tomatoes add a smoky flavor to dishes.
Tomato paste is a thick paste that is made by cooking tomatoes for several hours and reducing them to a thick, rich concentrate.
Crushed tomatoes are typically diced tomatoes accompanied with tomato paste or puree, the equivalent of whole peeled tomatoes going through a food processor. Containing seeds, this type of tomato varies in texture. With no official definition, they range from chunky to watery. A signature in stews and sauces, crushed tomatoes achieve a better flavor when cooked slow or a thicker texture when cooked on high.
Interested to know which brands are best? Take a look at 6 The Splendid Table
How to Prep
- Ready to use
- Drain depending on the dish/amount of tomato flavor you want to achieve.
- Wash and peel (if you want).
- Cut or crush with your hands depending on what your recipe calls for.
If interested in canning your own tomatoes take a look HERE.
Spicemode + Tomatoes
Tomatoes complement our signature cooking sauces + seasonings. Try Spicemode's Chicken + Chickpea Curry w/ Yogurt. Made with tomato paste and our signature Masala Cooking Sauce, this homestyle one-pot meal will satisfy all of your guests!
Spicemode's Pantry features ingredients and spices that are either featured in or are complementary to Spicemode's signature cooking sauces + seasonings.