Candy-Sweet, yet Savory...
Caramelized onions bring a sweet, unique flavor to every dish they touch. Savory and tender, these browned beauties add a gourmet flair to hamburgers, pasta dishes or salads. Yum! Although extremely easy to prepare, the delicacy of onions can cause some bumps along the way.
2-4 large onions • 12" skillet • 1 tablespoon butter • 1 tablespoon oil • 2 tablespoons of wine, vinegar, stock, or water (optional - for deglazing)
You Can't Rush GREATNESS
- Take your time! You're not sautéing your onions - you are slowly cooking the flavor out of them! This process takes about 45 minutes.
Step 1: Slice the onions:Trim the tip and root from the onions, cut them in half and remove the skins. Slice the onion from root to stem into slices.
Step 2:Melt the Butter/Oil Mixture: Make sure your skillet is on medium heat.
Step 3:Add your onions: Stir gently to coat with butter.
Step 4:Caramelize the onions: This is not a short process! Check on your onions after five minutes, then every 10 until the correct amount of time has passed. If your onions are going from brown to black - adjust the heat.
Step 5: Deglaze (optional): When your onions have finished cooking, add 1/4 cup of wine, vinegar, stock, or water. Deglazing allows your onions to soak up all of the caramelized goodness that has made it's home on your pan. **Highly recommended**
- Use thinly sliced onions - these burn quickly.
- Only use butter - butter has a tendency to burn. By combing oil and butter, you are able to get a higher smoking point and complex flavor.
- Cook all onions at once - Don't cram them all in there! It takes way too long to cook. For a 12" skillet, 2 large onions cook perfectly in 45 min.
- Crank the heat - Don't cheat and cook your onions on high heat! Not only will they burn but they won't possess that sought out savory flavor.
Spicemode + Caramelized Onions
At Spicemode, we caramelize all of our onions in house. We believe by directly sourcing the freshest ingredients and producing in only small batches - we are bringing you true, complex flavor.
Love caramelized onions and need kitchen inspo? Look no further:
Madras Chickpea Hummus : Our Madras Cooking Sauce is a great addition to your favorite hummus recipe!
Chicken & Chickpea Curry: Our Masala Cooking Sauce makes a mean home-style curry!
Spicemode's Pantry features ingredients + spices that are either featured in or are complementary to Spicemode's signature cooking sauces and seasonings.