Sweet Chile Tofu
Have you frozen tofu before? The texture and way that the tofu absorbs flavor is on another level. You can either toss the entire package of extra firm or firm tofu in the freezer or the best way is to drain it then freeze. After the tofu has thawed, squeeze out as much as possible and you are left with an amazing spongy texture. You can have slice it into squares, fry it off and cook some tasty dishes or crumbled and stir fry it in a sweet and spicy sauce with a spoonful of Fiery Vindaloo.
INGREDIENTSFor the stir fry:
- 1 16oz extra firm tofu
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green separated
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red or green thai chili pepper
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp Fiery Vindaloo
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- Prepare the tofu by crumbling into a mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp of corn starch and combine.
- In a wide bottom sauté pan or wok heat oil over high heat. Add the tofu crumbles and stir to coat with the oil. Season with salt and keep on cooking and storing until the tofu starts to brown. Add the mirin and keep tossing. Remove from the pan once the miran with start to caramelize.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside. Add a splash of oil, followed by the sliced garlic, chili, white parts of the green onion and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the tofu back to the pan. Toss everything together then add the sauce. Cook for couple more minutes until the sauce is reduced and coating the tofu. Add the scallion greens, turn off the heat and enjoy.