Spicemode Stewed Beans
Beans and rice, a savory and comforting combination that spans across cultures. The most common indian variations include Rajma (Kidney Beans) and Channa (Chickpeas). However, pinto and white beans are a wonderful addition. Preparation begins with slowly caramelizing onion, adding ginger, garlic, chiles and several spices and chile powders.
- 2 can cooked beans (pinto, kidney, chickpea, white)
- 1/2 jar Spicemode cooking sauce
- 1 medium onion, large dice
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of stock or water
- Chopped cilantro and scallions
- Add a tiny bit of oil to the bottom of a heavy bottom skillet
- Add onions and sweat for 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook for an additional couple minutes
- Add beans and sauces. stir to combine.
- Add water / stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add coconut milk and simmer until cooked. Smash some beans against the side of the pot to thicken the sauce.
- Taste and season with salt and maybe a little bit of sugar to round out the acidity from the tomatoes.
- Add s handful of chopped scallion and cilantro right before serving.
- Add a can of chopped tomatoes and coconut milk for a restaurant style dish
- Add handfuls of fresh spinach at the end of cooking.
- Top with a relish - corn, tomato or even cucumber.